Wednesday, May 28, 2008

MORE ON MARINDUQUE

Photos and Narration by Dr. Herbert

Here are some more pictures of our field research activities in Marinduque. Join us in our journey!



Botilao, Sta. Cruz

This is barangay (Filipino term for village) Botilao. We visited this barangay for the puspose of conducting interview with people who had direct experience with the environmental catasthrope that happened in Marinduqe almost ten years ago. Botilao is a remote village. One has to traverse narrow and treacherous roads along hillsides. We came on a rainy day. The Jeepney driver was prodding us to hurry and wrap up our interviews and visits because the downpour may create mud pools along the road which could get our vehicles stuck.

Giant Boulder

Along the Buenavista - Torrios Route, I saw this boulder and was inspired to take this picture. There are plenty of giant boulders along the way, which made me think that perhaps this part of the island was volcanic in origin. I was reminded of the words of Christ to Peter in Capenaum. "Thou art Rock and upon this Rock I will build my Church and the gates of hades will not overcome it!." Indeed what a statement summarizing the powers of God and the beauty of God's Church.

Writing Field Notes

I required my students to write field notes. After each day of field interviews, visitation, and observations, I require them to write expanded field notes. In order to set the proper learning athmosphere, I forbade them from bringing in guitar or cards. I even forbade them from watching television for the entire duration of the field work. As a teacher for the past 13 years I have learned that discipline is very important. A teacher has to be firm and should impose discipline. Thus I have developed a refutation for being strict and demanding teacher. Indeed, these character traits have contributed to the success of my teaching work. Young people need role models and figures whom they can emulate and respect. Hence a teacher is expected to behave in a mature manner and must show that he or she has moral ascendancy over his or her wards.

The Chancery

The Social Action Center of the Diocese of Marinduque helped us with our field work and in our research work.

The Tomb of Bishop Rafael Lim


Class Picture
This photo was taken just minutes before we left Marinduque. On the background is the dormitory of the Marinduque State College.

The Chefs

These are the group of students who were assigned with doing the household chores during our entire stay in Marinduque. They cooked for us, washed dishes, did some shopping, etc.. At times when the rest were busy with their Field Notes and writing reports, I would visit these group in the kitchen and would find time to chat with them. Sometimes I would supervise their cooking and washing of dishes. The three boys seated in the photo were nicknamed "Kung fu Kids" by their classmates because they looked younger for their age. But they were very helpful and industrious. They volunteered to carry my luggages and the teaching paraphernalia we brought along with us.

My Favorite Saint

Here again is my favorite saint, St. Anthony of Padua. I found his image occupying a nich in the right side of the reredos. St. Anthony pray for us!

St. Mark

Here is another saint close to my heart. St. Mark the Evangelist. St. Mark wrote a brief narrative of Christ's life and Passion. He is credited with founding the Church in Alexandria

Rev. Fr. Diego de Saura

I saw this marker on the grounds of the Boac Cathedral, the inscription reads: "El Pueblo de la isla de Menorca, a su Hijo Reverendo Padre Diego de Saura, Misionero Jesuita en la isla de Marinduque, 1598-1631".

No comments:

The Word Made Flesh